Emirati designers will participate at the upcoming Milan Design Week. Dubai Design District (d3) will host ‘UAE Design Stories: The Next Generation from The Emirates’, an exhibition highlighting some of the brightest Emirati talents, at this year’s Salone Del Mobile International Design Fair, the world’s largest design fair, also known as Milan Design Week.
Supported by the UAE Ministry of Culture and Knowledge Development, the exhibition, to be held in Milan, Italy from April 17–22, 2018, and is curated by renowned Emirati product designer Khalid Shafar. The 10 local designers, selected by him, will showcase their current design pieces, artworks and projects at the exhibition.
Her Excellency Noura Al Kaabi, UAE Minister of Culture and Knowledge Development commented: “It’s great to see the UAE Design Stories Exhibition presented by Dubai Design District, take our designers to one of the biggest design fairs of its kind, Salone Del Mobile, and spotlight a selection of some the best Emirati creative talents. The Ministry of Culture supports initiatives like this which go a long way in promoting the rich and diverse culture of the region to international audiences and thereby strategically place Dubai as a centre for culture and creativity.”
Mohammad Saeed Al Shehhi, CEO at d3 said: “We are delighted to be a part of Salone Del Mobile this year, the largest trade fair of its kind in the world. We are particularly proud to present the works of ten Emirati designers and highlight the design talent here in the UAE. d3 will continue to support, promote and spotlight talent from the region at a local, regional and international level, demonstrating the evolving design scene in the UAE.”
The participating Emirati Designers and their works include:
- Alia Mazrooei, an interior designer, will present ‘Stingray’, a piece of furniture inspired by the body and movement of stingrays.
- Aljoud Lootah, a multi-disciplinary designer, will display the ‘AlAreesh Stool’, a piece of furniture constructed from dried plain fronds of palm leaves.
- Roudha Alshamsi, an interior designer, will showcase two pieces; Acacia 11 and Acacia 111 designed through the study of local Emirati wildlife and landscape.
- Zeinab Alhashemi, a conceptual artist and designer, will display ’San’am Rug’, a modular rug made from double-sided authentic camel leather.
- Latifa Saeed, an artist and designer, will present ‘Kinestic Khoos – Fly’, created by using traditional materials and techniques.
- Azza Al Qubaisi, a sculpture and product designer, will showcase the ‘Yareeda Bench’ using kurab (wide palm trees).
- Alia bin Omair, a jewellery designer, will present her ‘Leaf’ collection inspired by palm tree fibre.
- Salem Al-Mansoori, an interdisciplinary designer, will present 3D printed sculptures developed using an algorithmic, generative code-based process.
- Abdalla AlMulla, an architect, will display two pieces; Instrinsic Flux, a wall installation and OctWov Cluster, a well-designed table.
- Ahmad AlAreef, a Bedouin Emirati artist, who always seeks to explore and experiment, will display a projection focused on the formation of sand dunes